- Visionbroad-based wealth creation in East Africa through agriculture and agri-business development.
- Our MissionTo catalyze the growth & competitiveness of strategic agricultural sectors for the benefit of a large number of people in East Africa.
- Our Aimis to make agricultural markets work better for the reduction of poverty and elimination of hunger.
November 05 – 08, 2013: the Symposium
November 11 -12, 2013: High Level Executive Roundtable
Kilimo Trust is committed to supporting the people of East African Community (EAC) Region, to achieve market-based solutions to food and nutrition security. Therefore, the core business of the Trust is to support the transformation of food and nutrition security in the EAC Region away from high risk subsistence farming into lower risk trade-based systems. To facilitate this, the Trust is a coordinating HUB for regional markets development programs providing regional solutions to local problems in ways that enhance security of incomes, food, and nutrition in the region. The ambition is to achieve a trade-based food security system in which all consumers including those who are in farming obtain most of the food they consume by purchasing food that is increasingly processed, stored and distributed to meet different needs and preferences. Why is this important? Because, the very low levels of specialisation in the production of food commodities by smallholders within EAC, dominated by subsistence farming, encourage the production of food commodities in unsuitable agro-ecological zones, leading to perpetuation of hunger and poverty.
News & Events
- Kilimo Trust validated the findings of the status of access to productive assets (finance, technology and market information) in Uganda on the 13th December, 2012 at the Silver Springs Hotel, Bugolobi, Kampala
- Kilimo Trust Launched its “Bean Enterprises and Structured Trade in the EAC (BEST-EAC)” program on the 28th of September, 2012 at the AGRF in Arusha, Tanzania.
- KT validate results of analyses of five value chains in Uganda